Isaiah 41:10 10 Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’
I recently came across this list, “top 10 fears of 2022” I started thinking about this. Are these new to us? Are these more real to us today? This list sure looks like the same topics I remember from 25 years ago. That said you know my memory is not that great. So, what has changed? From this list there hasn’t been a lot of changes. Do you agree?
What’s the fear of the day?
Top 10 Fears of 2022 % of Very Afraid or Afraid
1. Corrupt government officials 62.1
2. People I love becoming seriously ill 60.2
3. Russia using nuclear weapons 59.6
4. People I love dying 58.1
5. The U.S. becoming involved in another world war 56.0
6. Pollution of drinking water 54.5
7. Not having enough money for the future 53.7
8. Economic/financial collapse 53.7
9. Pollution of oceans, rivers, and lakes 52.5
10. Biological warfare 51.5
Growing up I can remember finding out about these items this way. We used to get the daily local paper. Page one had the headlines, page two, had the obituaries, page 3 sports, page 4 ads and jobs. I personally just looked at the pictures. Then sometimes we would watch the 6 o’clock news. On TV we heard about the same news as the paper and at times with a little more detail. That was assuming we were home at 6 o’clock. There were no TV recorders at that time. TV news was 15 minutes long, weather 6 minutes long and sports 6 minutes long. So, at the most maybe 1 hour per day give or take, talking about this list. Did people at that time have any fear. Absolutely! Was it more than today? I will let you decide.
Move ahead to 2023. DVR’s, Multiple 24 hours news station seven days a week. The internet 24 hour a day information. Wow what a change! Wait a minute. Smart phones that can be set to send a notification as soon as it’s available. “Please make sure your phone is off during services” So yes, we can know what has happens many times long before TV or paper even get the info. Do we have the same fears as then? Do we have about the same fears? Do we just think about it a little more? I will let you decide.
If these consume you instead of taking 3 Advil, try reading 3 of these.
1. Hebrews 13:5-6 - Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” 6 So we may boldly say: “The LORD is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
2. John 14:27 - Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
3. Psalm 55:22 - Cast your burden on the LORD, And He shall sustain you; He shall never permit the righteous to be moved.
If three is not enough, remember this. There is a total of 365 verses that tell us to fear not! One for every single day of the year! Coincidence? I’ll let you decide.